Sometimes when you tell people that you’re on a “lower glycemic index” diet, the first thing they say is “Oh my gosh. I’d DIE without spaghetti.” I’m with ya – spaghetti pretty much rocks my dinner table – we all love it. It would be sad, sad world without it.
We’ve just started using alternative noodles. We really love spaghetti squash, and on Thursday I’ll show you how I fix them. It’s fun and crazy stuff around this joint. Added to our “love list” now are these delicious squash noodles. Do they taste like spaghetti? No – it’s a squash, not a miracle. Are they good with pasta sauce? YES. I think I even like them better – they don’t stick and clump together.
In Cooking Through Stacy’s Stash this week, we’re on my 3rd Southern Living cookbook – with about 8 more to go I think. 1983 was a good year – I was two and kickin’ it with my parents as an only child…which didn’t last long. Ha, ha!
Southern Living recipes are just so delicious – I always have a hard time choosing one recipe from the book. This was actually the second one I tried. The first one I tried was a complete dud for Almond Berry Cobbler. It turned into Almond Lumps in Swimming Butter Berry Syrup. Oops?
I chose this recipe because we were having Mexican Spaghetti (recipe in Trim Healthy Mama) and I needed noodles – and I had yellow squash in the fridge. I came across a recipe for Parmesan Noodles and it was like a light-bulb went off!
I changed a few things: using butter, adding onion powder, and scaling back the recipe so you can make individual servings – because maybe it’s just you eating these delicacies…too bad for your picky fam.
These noodles are a piece of cake when you use this handy-dandy Julienne cutter from Amazon. I only paid $8 and it was worth it! Now I can make noodles from tons of different stuff! It works easily and I really love it. This is another one of those times when I’m thankful for Swagbucks so I can splurge on stuff like this here and there. (PS – The FTC wants me to tell you that’s my affiliate link, so take that, Big Brother.)
These are delicious and will be a staple around here – at least when squash is in season. They fry up in about 5 minutes, so they are even quicker than noodles. Hands down a winner in my book. BOOYA!
And yes, you can use zucchini as well. Those are the only two I have tried so far.
Now, head on over to Gwen’s Nest for Trim Healthy Tuesday where she is sharing Beef Stroganoff.
Parmesan Squash Noodles – Squoodles or Zoodles
- 1 medium yellow squash or zucchini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Slice squash into juliennes or use your julienne peeler.
- Sauté in skillet with butter just until tender with garlic and onion powder.
- Stir in Parmesan.
Yield: 1 serving
This is a THM S side dish. To switch it up and make it a FP, only use 1 teaspoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Before you link up below, please make note of these two things:
- PLEASE link to our Trim Healthy Tuesday posts when you link back, instead of our home pages. If someone clicks the link, it takes them to the main page and that might not be the top post. Thanks!
- If at all possible in your post, please include a link back to the Trim Healthy Mama website. We want to show them as much love as possible.
My three picks from last week were:
Slow Cooker Chicken And Quinoa (E) from Christian Mommy Blogger
I’ve personally had this dish and it’s AMAZING! And easy. And amazingly easy. Yum!
Lime Chicken Soft Tacos from Gwen’s Nest
I made these last week. SO GOOD! I made them Fuel Pull style and served the meat on salad with Joseph crackers on the side with homemade salsa.
Strawberry Lemonade Slushy from Debbie Lund Photo
Strawberry season is upon us! This recipe looks so good and so refreshing – I need to get some lemons and try it ASAP!
The top pick by YOU guys was:
How to Lose Fast and How to Stall from Gwen’s Nest
Now, link up below! Guidelines are posted below.
Guidelines for Linked Posts:
- Accepted post topics will be: Trim Healthy Mama-related recipes, kitchen tips, weekly menus, ‘how to’ articles, or exercise tips. MODEST before and after photos may be attached to any of the above. Please do not link personal progress reports or non-THM recipes.
- You may post links from YOUR blog to recipes that are Trim Healthy Mama friendly. They can be S (satisfying), E (energizing), FP (Fuel Pull), or Crossovers. Please note which of these categories your recipe falls under. Nutrition information for your recipe is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Please respect the copyright of the book, and do not post recipes from the Trim Healthy Mama book on your blog or in this link up. You MAY post recipes that you’ve changed to make your own, but nothing verbatim from the book.
- Please link your post back to one of the hosting blogs above: Gwen’s Nest or Stacy Makes Cents. Your link will show up on both blogs! DO NOT LINK TO THE HOMEPAGE – instead link directly to the Trim Healthy Tuesday post to which you are linking up to.
- Please post no more than 3 links each week.
- Post new links from your blog each week – do not post the same link each week.
- You may include recipes with “Splenda” and other similar products or foods that are considered “compromise foods”, but please note that in the recipe, and either make them optional or offer substitutions for on plan items if possible. Please do not use ingredients that are off plan…like white potatoes.
- No giveaways or advertising-only type posts are allowed. You may post about cookbooks that you like and you may include affiliate links, but the post MUST be THM friendly. Example – posting about an eCookbook that you like is acceptable when telling how it can help with THM. Posting about a cookbook just so you can sell it is NOT acceptable.
- Any post that does not meet the guidelines outlined above will be considered Spam and will be deleted.
- Though it’s not required, it would be polite if you would link directly to the Trim Healthy Mama website in each of your posts – they’ve done so much to help us all, and we’d like to increase their traffic.
- For help with determining where your recipes fall, visit Gwen’s THM Quick Start Guide.
**See this post for more about this Trim Healthy Tuesday link up.
**This post is linked at Fat Tuesday on Real Food Forager, at Hearth and Soul Blog Hop at Premeditated Leftovers, at Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings, at Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, at Totally Tasty Tuesday at Mandy’s Recipe Box, at Traditional Tuesdays on Cooking Traditional Foods, at Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, at Teach Me Tuesday at Growing Home, at Domestically Divine Tuesday at Far Above Rubies, at Works For Me Wednesday on We Are That Family, at Frugal Days Sustainable Ways at Frugally Sustainable, at Healthy 2Day Wednesday at Authentic Simplicity, at Allergy Free Wednesday at Whole New Mom, at Welcome Home Wednesday on Raising Arrows, at Whole Foods Wednesday on This Chick Cooks, at Cast Party Wednesday on Lady Behind the Curtain, at Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, at Show and Share Wednesday on Mostly Homemade Mom, at Wonderful Food Wednesday at All She Cooks, at Wellness Wednesday at Intoxicated on Life, at Simple Lives Thursday on GNOWFLGINS, at Proverbs 31 Thursday at Raising Mighty Arrows, at Full Plate Thursday on Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, at Frugal Food Thursday on Frugal Follies, at Thrive at Home Thursday at Live Called, at The Project Stash at Seven Alive, at Fantastic Thursday at Five Little Chefs, at Thriving on Thursday from Domesblissity, at Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch, at Thursday Treasures from Chocolate, Chocolate and More, at at Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet, at Catch as Catch Can at My Repurposed Life, at Fellowship Friday on Christian Mommy Blogger, at From The Farm Blog Hop at Fresh Eggs Daily, at Shine On Fridays at One Artsy Mama, at Foodie Friday on Simple Living and Eating, at Freedom Fridays on My Turn For Us, at Friday Favorites on Simply Sweet Home, at Foodie Friday on Rattlebridge Farm, at Weekend Wonders at The Thriftiness Miss, at Friday Food Frenzie at Mostly Food and Crafts, at Serenity Saturday at Serenity You, at Sweet and Savory Saturdays at Dessert Now, Dinner Later, at Weekend Potluck at Sunflower Supper Club, at Friday Pin Party at The Pin Junkie, at at Homestead Barn Hop at The Prairie Homestead, at Make Your Own Monday at Nourishing Treasures, at Mouthwatering Monday on A Southern Fairy Tale, at Better Mom Monday at The Better Mom, at A Round Tuit at Creating My Way To Success, at Mix It Up Monday at Flour Me With Love, at Melt In Your Mouth Monday at Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, at Trim Healthy Tuesday, at On The Menu Monday at Stone Gable, at Marvelous Mondays at This Gal Cooks, and at Clever Chicks Blog Hop at The Chicken Chick.