I’ve never met a brownie I didn’t like. Wait. Scratch that. I have met brownies I didn’t like…dry ones. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust brownies. No thanks…but gooey brownies. Yeah, buddy. Come to Mama!
Y’all told me on Facebook you wanted me to start posting coconut flour and almond flour recipes…and I’m happy to oblige because that’s mostly what I find myself using these days. I love both of them – they are different, but I love the taste and texture.
Hello? Are you there? I know some of you just phased out everything I said once the word “brownies” came out of my mouth.
This week in Cooking Through Stacy’s Stash I’m using a cookbook from Washington, DC – The Presidential Cookie Cookbook. I’ve been to DC a few times and I love it each time – so full of history and great FREE things to do. I bought this book on a trip with Barry. Cookbook + cookies? I’m sold.
I love this book because it’s got a cookie from the time period of each president – with facts and little informational tidbits. I love informational tidbits. If you’re a homeschooler, this would be a cute book to use when talking about the presidents – and then you get a cookie. Win-win situation here.
I chose this recipe for Sequoia Brownies for one reason and one reason only…it said BROWNIES. This cookie is from the Nixon administration and is named after the USS Sequoia.
I didn’t have to change much, I just mixed it up to make it more Stacyfied…and also to make it Trim Healthy Mama friendly. A guilt-free brownie? Yes – you can be my best friend. Wait, what? Did you say BROWNIE?
These were totally amazing – they will be a regular dessert around here. Yes, you can be my friend. I’m so glad when something I tweak turns out good – sometimes I’m not so lucky. Keepin’ it real.
Okay, so two things:
1. Almond flour and regular flour cannot always be used interchangeably. It depends on the recipe – sometimes it totally flops. These did NOT totally flop. Coconut flour is its own beast…it takes a bit of tweaking because it’s a very protein-rich flour – it needs a good binder. But, we’ll talk more about that in another post.
2. I’ve been avoiding this conversation because of some hurtful things said on Facebook, but now I must finally tackle the subject….I use xylitol. What is xylitol? It’s a sugar alcohol. It has absolutely no effect on blood sugar and doesn’t cause weight gain. It is NOT an artificial sweetener. We don’t do artificial in this house.
At first, I was hesitant to use xylitol…but after extensive research and HOURS upon HOURS of reading, I finally decided that I was fine with using it. Why? First off, I know exactly how sugar affects the people in this house. I know how we feel. I know how our pants fit…and I see the difference in Annie’s behavior after she’s had sugar. I do not see those same results when I use xylitol.
Do I use it a lot? No…it can have a laxative effect if used too much (which could be a BENEFIT to some people I know)…but so can beans, flax, or oatmeal for that matter. I use it sparingly and try to use stevia most often. Sometimes, however, a recipe needs the BULK of the sugar to turn out correctly – and that’s when and why I use xylitol. **I also use erythritol.**
So, you will occasionally see recipes around here where I call for xylitol. If you don’t have it or don’t use it, just substitute the same amount of sugar. (Note – xylitol, like chocolate, is very bad for dogs. Don’t feed Fido a plate of xylitol goodies. Thanks.)
For more information on xylitol, check out this informational post about the sugar alcohol from Intoxicated On Life.
Now, head on over to Gwen’s Nest for Trim Healthy Tuesday where she is sharing Cheeseburger Quesadillas.
Almond Flour Brownies
- 2 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup xylitol/erythritol or sugar of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon pure white stevia extract (I use NuNaturals) Hey, Big Brother – that’s my affiliate link
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup chopped nuts (we like walnuts)
- Grease an 8 inch baking pan/dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Warm only until melted. Cool slightly.
- Add xylitol/sugar, stevia, eggs, vanilla, salt, soda, and almond flour. Stir well.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or just until edges start to set. Do not overbake. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust brownies are yucky.
Yield: 9 brownies
THM Compliant: These are an S dessert when using xylitol and stevia.
Before you link up below, please make note of these two things:
- PLEASE link to our Trim Healthy Tuesday posts when you link back, instead of our home pages. If someone clicks the link, it takes them to the main page and that might not be the top post. Thanks!
- If at all possible in your post, please include a link back to the Trim Healthy Mama website. We want to show them as much love as possible.
My top three picks from last week were:
Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake (S) from Blissfully Blessed
When you pair chocolate and peanut butter together, I’m sold every time. Every time. EVERY. TIME.
Coconut Macaroon Muffin in a Mug (S) from Debbie Lund Photo
Shopping For Real Food at Costco from Live Simply
I think I like to torture myself by reading posts like this – no Costco here. BUT I did notice that a few of these things are available at Sam’s Club, even if not the same brands. Good, helpful post!
The top pick by YOU guys was:
Flat Belly Doughnuts (S) from Counting All Joy
Now, link up! Guidelines are posted below.
Guidelines for Linked Posts:
- Accepted post topics will be: Trim Healthy Mama-related recipes, kitchen tips, weekly menus, ‘how to’ articles, or exercise tips. MODEST before and after photos may be attached to any of the above. Please do not link personal progress reports or non-THM recipes.
- You may post links from YOUR blog to recipes that are Trim Healthy Mama friendly. They can be S (satisfying), E (energizing), FP (Fuel Pull), or Crossovers. Please note which of these categories your recipe falls under. Nutrition information for your recipe is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Please respect the copyright of the book, and do not post recipes from the Trim Healthy Mama book on your blog or in this link up. You MAY post recipes that you’ve changed to make your own, but nothing verbatim from the book.
- Please link your post back to one of the hosting blogs above: Gwen’s Nest or Stacy Makes Cents. Your link will show up on both blogs! DO NOT LINK TO THE HOMEPAGE – instead link directly to the Trim Healthy Tuesday post to which you are linking up to.
- Please post no more than 3 links each week.
- Post new links from your blog each week – do not post the same link each week.
- You may include recipes with “Splenda” and other similar products or foods that are considered “compromise foods”, but please note that in the recipe, and either make them optional or offer substitutions for on plan items if possible. Please do not use ingredients that are off plan…like white potatoes.
- No giveaways or advertising-only type posts are allowed. You may post about cookbooks that you like and you may include affiliate links, but the post MUST be THM friendly.Example – posting about an eCookbook that you like is acceptable when telling how it can help with THM. Posting about a cookbook just so you can sell it is NOT acceptable.
- Any post that does not meet the guidelines outlined above will be considered Spam and will be deleted.
- Though it’s not required, it would be polite if you would link directly to the Trim Healthy Mama website in each of your posts – they’ve done so much to help us all, and we’d like to increase their traffic.
- For help with determining where your recipes fall, visit Gwen’s THM Quick Start Guide.
**See this post for more about this Trim Healthy Tuesday link up.
This post is linked at at Fat Tuesday on Real Food Forager, at Hearth and Soul Blog Hop at Premeditated Leftovers, at Handmade Tuesdays on Ladybug Blessings, at Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, at Totally Tasty Tuesday at Mandy’s Recipe Box, at Traditional Tuesday on Cooking Traditional Foods, at Slightly Indulgent Tuesday on Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, at Teach Me Tuesday on Growing Home, at Domestically Divine Tuesday at Far Above Rubies, at Works For Me Wednesday on We Are That Family, at Frugal Days Sustainable Ways at Frugally Sustainable, at Healthy 2Day Wednesday at Authentic Simplicity, at Allergy Free Wednesday at Whole New Mom, at Welcome Home Wednesday at Raising Arrows, at Whole Foods Wednesday on This Chick Cooks, at Cast Party Wednesday on Lady Behind the Curtain, at Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, at Show and Share Wednesday at Mostly Homemade Mom, at Wonderful Food Wednesday at All She Cooks, at Wellness Wednesday at Intoxicated on Life, at Gluten Free Wednesdays on the Gluten Free Homemaker, at Simple Lives Thursday on GNOWFGLINS, at Proverbs 31 Thursday at Raising Mighty Arrows, at Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, at Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies, at The Project Stash at Seven-Alive, at Fantastic Thursday on Five Little Chefs, at Thriving on Thursday at Domesblissity, at Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch, at Thursday’s Treasures at Chocolate, Chocolate and More, at Pin It Thursday on Sweet Bella Roos, at Natural Living Link Up at Little Natural Cottage, at Catch as Catch Can at My Repurposed Life, at Fellowship Fridays at Christian Mommy Blogger, at From the Farm on Fresh Eggs Daily, at Shine On Fridays at One Artsy Mama, at Foodie Friday on Simple Living and Eating, at Freedom Fridays on My Turn For Us, at Friday Favorites on Simply Sweet Home, at Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm, at Weekend Wonders at The Thriftiness Miss, at Friday Food Frenzy at Mostly Food and Crafts, at Weekend Potluck at Sunflower Supper Club, at Sweet and Savory Saturdays at Dessert Now, Dinner Later, at Friday Link Party at The Pin Junkie, at Homestead Barn Hop at The Prairie Homestead, at Make Your Own Monday at Nourishing Treasures, at Mouthwatering Monday at A Southern Fairy Tale, at Better Mom Monday at The Better Mom, at A Round Tuit at Creating My Way To Success, at Mix It Up Monday at Flour Me With Love, at Melt In Your Mouth Monday at Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, at On The Menu Monday at Stone Gable, at Marvelous Monday at This Gal Cooks, at Recipe Sharing Monday at Jam Hands, at Trim Healthy Tuesday, and at Clever Chicks at The Chicken Chick.