|Do you know what the 80/20 Principle is? Shock of all shocks, Stacy didn’t invent it. Bummer. I always think I’ve come up with something AWESOME! And then I see that someone else already did it. So, I’ve named this the STACY 80/20 Principle. The real 80/20 principle has to do with business and it means that “for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.” Huh? Yeah, me either.Stacy’s 80/20 Principal is this: I can’t control what my family or I eat 100% of the time – but I can control it 80% of the time. The other 20% is what we eat when someone else is in charge. And if my family is eating whole foods 80% of the time, I’m happy.|
|When we first started this journey one of my first freaking out moments was when I realized that we didn’t live in a bubble – we’d have to leave the house to eat eventually. *Gasp!* What was I going to do? AHHHHHH!!! Save me from the white sugar! Then I finally realized that since we ate at home a majority of the time, an occasional lapse wouldn’t kill us. Plus, eating whole grain bread from our Nutrimill does a pretty good job of cleaning us out, if you catch my drift.When you or I are invited to eat at someone else’s home, we should eat what is provided to us. Now, I know there are exceptions to that rule. If you’re allergic to peanut butter, don’t eat the peanut butter pie. But, being appreciative of what someone has offered you means that you eat it……it also means that you express gratitude. “Thank you for the lovely meal” shouldn’t turn in to “Thanks for the meal – I’m sure it’s going to give us all a heart attack and a sugar coma. You really should think about switching to real butter instead of margarine.” That’s NOT a thankful attitude. I honestly believe that if you pray over your meal and you accept it with a grateful heart, that God will take care of the rest. Now, that being said I will normally skip over the white bread and stick with the meat and vegetables. I might ask if I can pass dessert – or I might not. An occasional sweet won’t kill you – daily sweets might.|
|Okay, so let’s get real here for a minute. Often I am asked “Didn’t Jesus declare all foods clean? So, why are you worried about what you feed your family?” The answer is yes, Jesus did declare all foods clean (Mark 7:19) In this particular passage, Jesus was telling his disciples that food entering the body isn’t what makes someone “unclean.” It’s what comes out of a man’s mouth that makes him unclean. No one should interpret this to mean that all foods are good for you to eat. When I read this I think “Okay, so that means when I have no control over what I feed my family, Jesus says it’s clean and we’ll be okay.” That doesn’t mean I feed my family Doritos and Ding Dongs for every meal because Jesus said they were “clean.” I’m pretty sure that was not even what he was talking about.The Levitical laws in the Old Testament benefited God’s people both spiritually and physically. They weren’t laws to be mean…..they were laws because GOD KNEW WHAT WAS GOOD TO EAT AND WHAT WASN’T. Since our God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, shouldn’t those laws still make sense? Science even backs up the fact.In Corinthians, Paul talks about how Christians are called to take care of their physical bodies – “do you not know, that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”
Paul goes on to state in 1 Corinthians 10:23 that “Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.” Jesus said that all foods were clean – so they are permissible. However, no one would tell you that eating margarine was “beneficial.” Just because you are able to do something doesn’t mean you should do it. I am able to dress in skin-tight spandex and walk around Bristol. However, that would not be beneficial to the community. Catch my drift?
So, try to follow the Stacy 80/20 Principle with me. Take care of your family 80% of the time with the mandates that God sets forward…..and He’ll take care of the other 20%. He’s actually taking care of it all – He just wants you to take care of the body he provided for you.
|This post is linked at Hearth and Soul Blog Hop at Penniless Parenting.|