When I was younger, I didn’t like salad. There were lots of things I didn’t like: sour cream, salmon, tilapia, avocado, cream cheese….looking back, I’m not sure what was going on with me then.
Growing up changes your tastes – at least I’m hoping that for some of my family members. *Cough* Anyway, these days I embrace salad. And if you follow me on Instagram you’ll see that I post pictures of my salads often. I’m always looking for a good one – my favorite being Cornbread Salad, but this comes a very close second. I’ll try to do better at posting salad recipes.
In Cooking Through Stacy’s Stash we’re tackling another church cookbook – and there are many to come because my Mother In Law keeps buying them for me…I think she likes my cookin’. This cookbook is from Limestone United Methodist Church in Limestone, Tennessee. It’s full of good, downhome favorites – like this Cracker Salad.
What IS Cracker Salad? If you’ve never looked through a church cookbook, you probably don’t know – and that’s sad. Very sad. See my sad face? Cracker Salad is a bowl full of veggies with a delicious mayo-based sauce. You crumble crackers up in it and eat it immediately so that the crackers are still crunchy. IT ROCKS MY FACE OFF. I do not lie.
This is actually a Paula Deen recipe…with no butter. I love Paula’s recipes – and butter. And butter in Paula’s recipes. Bless her heart.
I had some converting to do with this one. Saltine crackers are not Trim Healthy Mama happy…so what was I gonna do? Well, I’ll tell ya – I made Lavash Chips from Sheri Graham’s blog and called them “crackers.” Also, I switched out some of the mayo for Greek yogurt to make this a little lighter on the stomach – because my tummy can’t handle too much mayo. I also downsized it to make it a single serving recipe. I LOVE SINGLE SERVING RECIPES.
The lavash “crackers” worked great in this salad – better than I could have imagined. I don’t have a microwave, so I just baked mine at 375 until they started to brown. Notice I said BROWN. I don’t want to tell you how many I’ve burned. Yes, I could set the timer…but that would be entirely too easy and I need to keep our fire alarm up and running.
You can use whatever fresh veggies you like and have on hand. This is a GREAT summertime salad to make. Don’t leave out the cilantro though – it totally makes salads ROCK. And if you do leave it out, just don’t tell me. What I don’t know won’t hurt me…now that I think about it, that seems like a dumb phrase.
I like these veggies in mine: tomato, pepper, cucumber, red onion, and cilantro. Summer squash would also be good. Anything you can eat raw without breaking your teeth. That’s a good general rule for veggie salads.
You’ll also add a chopped, boiled egg. Egg makes salad sing. When I visit a salad bar that has egg on it, I want to hug the chef and confess my undying love…of eggs. Not of the chef – that would just be weird. :-/
Mix your dressing together – greek yogurt, mayo and salt+pepper. Then mix everything together and serve IMMEDIATELY. Do not pass go and do not collect $200. No, wait – if someone wants to give you $200, totally take it and then eat the salad. You have my permission.
Now, go make this salad. It will make your mouth happy – and your husband too…but make two salads, don’t share. Sharing isn’t caring. That’s another dumb phrase.
Now, hop on over to Gwen’s Nest for Stevia to Go for Trim Healthy Tuesday!
Cracker Salad (S)
- Lavash Crackers (1/2 lavash per serving)
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1 small cuke, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt and mayo. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Crumble crackers.
- Combine all ingredients in a small salad bowl. Toss well.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 1 serving
THM Compliant: This is an S side or a light meal.
Guidelines for Linked Posts:
- Accepted post topics will be: Trim Healthy Mama-related recipes, kitchen tips, weekly menus, ‘how to’ articles, or exercise tips. MODEST before and after photos may be attached to any of the above. Please do not link personal progress reports or non-THM recipes.
- You may post links from YOUR blog to recipes that are Trim Healthy Mama friendly. They can be S (satisfying), E (energizing), FP (Fuel Pull), or Crossovers. Please note which of these categories your recipe falls under. Nutrition information for your recipe is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Please respect the copyright of the book, and do not post recipes from the Trim Healthy Mama book on your blog or in this link up. You MAY post recipes that you’ve changed to make your own, but nothing verbatim from the book.
- Please link your post back to one of the hosting blogs above: Gwen’s Nest or Stacy Makes Cents. Your link will show up on both blogs! DO NOT LINK TO THE HOMEPAGE – instead link directly to the Trim Healthy Tuesday post to which you are linking up to.
- Please post no more than 3 links each week.
- Post new links from your blog each week – do not post the same link each week.
- You may include recipes with “Splenda” and other similar products or foods that are considered “compromise foods”, but please note that in the recipe, and either make them optional or offer substitutions for on plan items if possible. Please do not use ingredients that are off plan…like white potatoes.
- No giveaways or advertising-only type posts are allowed. You may post about cookbooks that you like and you may include affiliate links, but the post MUST be THM friendly.Example – posting about an eCookbook that you like is acceptable when telling how it can help with THM. Posting about a cookbook just so you can sell it is NOT acceptable.
- Any post that does not meet the guidelines outlined above will be considered Spam and will be deleted.
- Though it’s not required, it would be polite if you would link directly to the Trim Healthy Mama website in each of your posts – they’ve done so much to help us all, and we’d like to increase their traffic.
- For help with determining where your recipes fall, visit Gwen’s THM Quick Start Guide.
**See this post for more about this Trim Healthy Tuesday link up.
My top three picks from last week were:
Vanilla Blueberry Jello (FP) from House of Worshippers
Homemade jello is really so easy to make! And making it at home means you avoid all the extra food additives and food coloring. Barry really likes jello, so I whipped this recipe up for him. It was super easy and very flavorful. It would be easy to make it any flavor that you like – you could use all sorts of different berries or even peaches for an E snack/dessert! The only thing I would change is it was a bit too much vanilla for our tastes…but that might have been the vodka talking.
Chocolate Almond Berry Flax Muffin (S) from See the Blue Sky
I’m pretty much in love with all the different Muffin in a Mug variations…so you can just about be sure that if you share one, I’m going to pick it. Ha, ha! This one is sooooooooooo good! It uses all flax and I love the flavor. I bake mine at 350 degrees for about 23 minutes and it’s perfect. The berries keep it nice and moist – I hate the word moist. The only thing I will change for next time, and there WILL be a next time, is it wasn’t quite sweet enough for us, so I’ll add more stevia.
Gluten Free Cheesy Biscuits (S) from Intoxicated On Life
Oh. My. Gosh. You guys. YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These biscuits ROCK! I was so excited for breakfast that I considered waking the whole fam early to eat. Yes, I know that’s serious. But these biscuits are PHENOMENAL. They are sturdy enough to make a breakfast sandwich…and they’re also good enough to just stuff in your face when the fam is asleep and can’t see you. Who needs a regular, white flour biscuit?! Not me baby, I have THESE. *Drool* And I put some in the freezer for a quick thaw in the morning when Barry needs a biscuit on the go. Hooray! I secretly hope he never needs them and I can eat them during nap-time.
The TOP pick by YOU guys was:
Weekly Menu THM Style from See The Blue Sky
*This post is linked at Fat Tuesday on Real Food Forager, at In and Out of the Kitchen at Feeding Big, at Show Me What You Got at Our Delightful Home, at Hearth and Soul at Premeditated Leftovers, at Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings, at Totally Tasty Tuesday at Mandy’s Recipe Box, at Traditional Tuesday at Delicious Obsessions, at Teach Me Tuesday at Growing Home, at Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, at Domestically Divine Tuesday at Far Above Rubies, at Works For Me Wednesday at We Are That Family, at Healthy 2Day Wednesday at Authentic Simplicity, at Allergy Free Wednesday at Whole New Mom, at Welcome Home Wednesday at Raising Arrows, at Make Bake Create at Hope In Every Season, at Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, at Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, at Fresh Foods Wednesday at Gastronomical Sovereignty, at Show and Share Wednesday at Mostly Homemade Mom, at Wonderful Food Wednesday at All She Cooks, at Wellness Wednesday at Intoxicated on Life, at Whole Foods Wednesday at This Chick Cooks, at Wednesday Extravaganza at Hungry Little Girl, at Wonderful Wednesday at Ducks in a Row, at Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, at Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies, at Thrive at Home Thursday at Live Called, at The Project Stash at 7 Alive, at Fantastic Thursday at Five Little Chefs, at Thriving on Thursday at Domesblissity, at Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch, at Thursdays Treasures at Chocolate Chocolate and More, at Thank Your Body Thursday, at Pin It Thursday at Sweet Bella Roos, at Simple Lives Thursday at My Humble Kitchen, at Proverbs 31 Thursday at Raising Mighty Arrows, at Catch as Catch Can at My Repurposed Life, at Fellowship Friday at Christian Mommy Blogger, at Shine On Fridays at One Artsy Mama, at Foodie Friday at Simple Living and Eating, at Freedom Fridays at My Turn For Us, at Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, at Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm, at Weekend Wonders at The Thriftiness Miss, at From the Farm at Fresh Eggs Daily, at Friday Food Frenzie at Mostly Food and Crafts, at Simple Meals Friday at Nourishing Simplicity, at Foodie Friday at Growing Up Triplets,at Weekend Whatever at Creative Christian Mama, at Weekend Potluck at Sunflower Supper Club, at Super Saturday Link Party at Made From Pinterest, at Friday Link Party at The Pin Junkie, at Think Pink Sunday on Flamingo Toes, at Make Your Own Monday at Nourishing Treasures, at Better Mom Monday, at A Round Tuit at Creating My Way to Success, at Mix it Up Monday at Flour Me With Love, at Melt In Your Mouth Monday at Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms, at Marvelous Mondays at This Gal Cooks, at Clever Chicks at The Chicken Chick, at Inspiration Monday at I Should Be Mopping The Floor, at Meatless Monday at The Veggie Mama, at Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory, at Homestead Barn Hop at The Prairie Homestead, at Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairy Tale, at Recipe Sharing Monday at Jam Hands, at Trim Healthy Tuesday, and at Homemade Mondays at Frugal By Choice Cheap by Necessity.