“I love meat – from my head down to my feet; fried up or grilled, with my family or the girls, I love meat.” Sounds like a good commercial, huh? I do love eggs…but meat is my best friend. I can eat just about any man under the table when it comes to meatballs…actually, when I think about it I could most likely eat any man under the table PERIOD. I eat more than Barry and Annie combined. It’s that whole breastfeeding thing – it makes me famished. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
But, I do love girly foods…and sometimes that’s a problem for Barry. Sometimes he’s like, “Woman! I’m tired of all these froo-froo foods like Fat Stripping Frapps, puddings, and muffins – I want some MAN FOOD.” No, not really…he’s never said that – but I’ve said it to myself. Man food rocks. Woman food rocks too – actually, food in general rocks. I’m hungry, I need a snack.
The cookbook for this week is The Blue Willow Inn Cookbook (affiliate link butt covering for the FTC). It was a gift from our cousins a few years ago at Christmas – they live in Atlanta, but this cookbook is from Social Circle, Georgia. It tells the history of this home and how it came to be a restaurant. It’s got history peppered all through it – and those are my FAVORITE kind of cookbooks.
It’s full of good SOUTHERN cooking like fried pork chops, gravy, and biscuits. It’ll make you cry with delight – it’ll make you hungry – it’ll make you fix a snack. Gosh…I’m hungry. I love Southern food – good thing I live there. Southern food = man food, plus a chicken salad or something lady-like peppered here and there. But after you fix a man meal like THIS, sometimes he’s okay with chicken froo-froo salad.
If you thought your days of Chicken Fried Steak were over when you joined the healthy Trim Healthy Mama team, you were sorely mistaken, my friend. Sorely mistaken. Not only can you still have it, but now you can have it WITHOUT A SIDE OF GUILT (or mashed potatoes). Praise the Lord and pass the gravy! I heart gravy. It’s good for the soul.
I had to convert this a bit to make it fit…and add a few things to Stacyify it, like usual. I nixed the cream-of soup because we just don’t buy those things anymore. Plus, once you have REAL GRAVY you won’t go back to the can. “Gravy love! My gravy love! I need ya, oh how I need ya, love!” (Barry sings that all the time.)
When I coat meat, I like to do it in a bag I can just pitch…it makes clean up easier. You can use a Ziploc if you like…or you can be cool like me and use an empty cereal bag. Add flour and seasonings. Shake. Trash. No clean up. Praise the Lord!
*Please do not leave me nasty comments about BPA. Thank you and amen.*
I do fry my meats in palm shortening instead of butter…it doesn’t brown or smoke and set off the fire alarm – does anyone else do that? “Oh, Stacy must be cooking again.” I know the neighbors hear and see the smoke coming out my windows. They probably also hear all the 4 year old tantrums – I sometimes wonder what they all think of me. Oh well, who cares. I have gravy.
Palm shortening is just another one of those healthy fats that we like to use – do we use it every day? No, I save that for coconut oil. But, I do so love meat and doughnuts fried in palm. Heavenly.
Now, you have a few options for gravy. If you’re a Trim Healthy Mama, you can whip up a batch of Basic Gravy on page 410 to serve on top of your steak. It’s pretty tasty. But, it’s gravy – what’s not to love? You could do what I did and just scrape the bottom of the pan, add beef stock, and thicken with gluccomannan until it’s like you want it – I like thick gravy instead of gravy that runs all over my plate…that’s how I roll.
If you’re not doing the THM plan, you can whip up a batch of Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup to go with your steak. I ain’t hatin’….it’s gravy after all. “Gravy love! My gravy love! I need ya, oh how I need ya love!”
Either way – gravy and chicken fried steak are back in your life. It’s a beautiful thing. I’m hungry.
Now, hop on over to Gwen’s Nest for Taco Salad: Three Ways for Trim Healthy Tuesday!
Chicken Fried Steak (S)
- 1 ½ pounds beef cube steak (also called minute steak)
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and dry mustard
- Oil or butter for frying (I like palm shortening from Tropical Traditions) affiliate link love
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Combine almond flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and dry mustard in a bag. Shake.
- Dredge steaks in flour mixture.
- Fry in hot oil – flip when browned and cook until desired doneness.
- Remove to paper towel lined plate and keep hot while making gravy.
- Use Basic Gravy from page 410 or make your own (scrape the bottom of the pan, add 1 cup beef broth and thicken with gluccomannan –sprinkle and whisk WELL until desired thickness…I use about ¾ teaspoon).
- You could also use cream of chicken soup for your gravy topping.
- Serve steaks with gravy and mashed cauliflower. Groan with delight and sing Gravy Love.
Yield: 4-5 servings
Guidelines for Linked Posts:
- Accepted post topics will be: Trim Healthy Mama-related recipes, kitchen tips, weekly menus, ‘how to’ articles, or exercise tips. MODEST before and after photos may be attached to any of the above. Please do not link personal progress reports or non-THM recipes.
- You may post links from YOUR blog to recipes that are Trim Healthy Mama friendly. They can be S (satisfying), E (energizing), FP (Fuel Pull), or Crossovers. Please note which of these categories your recipe falls under. Nutrition information for your recipe is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Please respect the copyright of the book, and do not post recipes from the Trim Healthy Mama book on your blog or in this link up. You MAY post recipes that you’ve changed to make your own, but nothing verbatim from the book.
- Please link your post back to one of the hosting blogs above: Gwen’s Nest or Stacy Makes Cents. Your link will show up on both blogs! DO NOT LINK TO THE HOMEPAGE – instead link directly to the Trim Healthy Tuesday post to which you are linking up to.
- Please post no more than 3 links each week.
- Post new links from your blog each week – do not post the same link each week.
- You may include recipes with “Splenda” and other similar products or foods that are considered “compromise foods”, but please note that in the recipe, and either make them optional or offer substitutions for on plan items if possible. Please do not use ingredients that are off plan…like white potatoes.
- No giveaways or advertising-only type posts are allowed. You may post about cookbooks that you like and you may include affiliate links, but the post MUST be THM friendly.Example – posting about an eCookbook that you like is acceptable when telling how it can help with THM. Posting about a cookbook just so you can sell it is NOT acceptable.
- Any post that does not meet the guidelines outlined above will be considered Spam and will be deleted.
- Though it’s not required, it would be polite if you would link directly to the Trim Healthy Mama website in each of your posts – they’ve done so much to help us all, and we’d like to increase their traffic.
- For help with determining where your recipes fall, visit Gwen’s THM Quick Start Guide.
**See this post for more about this Trim Healthy Tuesday link up.
My top three picks from last week were:
My Trim Healthy Mama Week in Pictures from Walking in Light Photography
This is actually two posts: Part One and Part Two. I’m always amazed by Debbie’s photography skills – she puts me to shame and I want to be just like her when I grow up! Ladies – she even made the Mexican Cottage Cheese Salad look good…that’s one of my favorites, but it’s not really a beautiful dish if you know what I’m sayin’. If you think THM food is boring or you’re in a rut, check out these awesome THM food photos. Utterly amazing….and now I need a Frapp.
Oat Fiber Strawberry Shortcake (FP) from Fruit of His Hands
I’m so glad Karen posted this recipe so I could share it with y’all! Until now, it was just something I made and didn’t really talk about because I didn’t have a website to point to people…I felt like I was hogging it but now I’m telling the WORLD! I don’t mind sharing the recipe, but I sure ain’t sharing my bowl of Strawberry Shortcake. I make Barry his own. No one gets a bite of mine unless they want to lose a finger. And I wait until Annie goes to bed so I don’t have to give her a taste. This is serious business people – it’s FP SHORTCAKE for heaven’s sake!
Reeses Pieces Bowl (S) from Colorful Palate
Oh. My. Gosh, y’all. Ohmygosh! This is utterly delightful. And easy. Someone once asked me if THM food was hard or in-depth to make. Uh, no. I whipped this up in just a few minutes. The recipe says that you can actually make it into a frozen yogurt dish, but who in the world wants to wait for that?! NOT ME. I actually prefer this right away instead of frozen. It’s good – and easy. And yummy. Holy cow. Make this. And then put it in your THM Notebook – the recipe, not the yogurt.
The TOP pick by YOU guys was:
Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (S) from Joy In Our Journey
**This post is linked at Totally Tasty Tuesdays at Mandy’s Recipe Box, at Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings, at Show Me What You Got at Our Delightful Home, at In & Out of the Kitchen at Feeding Big, at Trim Healthy Tuesday, at Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, at Fat Tuesday at Real Food Forager, at Teach Me Tuesday at Growing Home, at Traditional Tuesdays at Delicious Obsessions, at Share It Link Party at The Winthrop Chronicles, at Hearth & Soul Blog Hop at Premeditated Leftovers, at Wonderful Wednesdays at Ducks in a Row, at Wednesday Extravaganza at Hungry Little Girl, at Wonderful Food Wednesday at All She Cooks, at Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain, at Make Bake Create at Hope in Every Season, at Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker, at Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop, at Show & Share Wednesday at Mostly Homemade Mom, at Fresh Foods Link Up at Gastronomical Sovereignty, at Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday, at Welcome Home Wednesday at Raising Arrows, at Allergy Free Wednesdays at Whole New Mom, at Healthy 2Day Wednesday on Authentic Simplicity, at Works for Me Wednesday at We are That Family, at Wellness Wednesday at Intoxicated Life, at Pin It Thursday at Sweet Bellaroos, at Thank Your Body Thursday at Thank Your Body, at Thursdays Treasures at Chocolate Chocolate and More, at Thriving on Thursday at Domesblissity, at The Project Stash at Seven Alive, at Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, at Fantastic Thursday at Five Little Chefs, at Thrive at Home Thursday at Live Called, at Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies, at Proverbs 31 Thursday Linkup at Raising Mighty Arrows, at Simple Lives Thursday at My Humble Kitchen, at Let’s Get Real Link Party at 365ish Pins, at The Weekend Re-Treat at The Best Blog Recipes, at Family Fun Friday at Happy & Blessed Home, at Creative Connection Party at Chase the Star, at TGIF Link Party at A Peek into My Paradise, at Crafty Friday at Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons, at Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush, at Foodtastic Friday at Not Your Ordinary Recipes, at Natural Living Link Up at Little Natural Cottage, at The Pin Junkie Link Party at The Pin Junkie, at Friday Food Frenzie at Mostly Food & Crafts, at Weekend Wonders at The Thriftiness Miss, at Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm, at Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, at Shine On Fridays at One Artsy Mama, at Freedom Fridays at My Turn For Us, at Pennywise Platter at Nourishing Gourmet, at Foodie Friday at Simple Living Eating, at Weekend Potluck at Sunflower Supper Club, at Simple Meals Friday at Nourishing Simplicity, at Gluten Free Fridays at Vegetarian Mama, at Foodie Fridays at Growing Up Triplets, at Pity Party at Thirty Handmade Days, at From the Farm at Fresh Eggs Daily, at Get Him Fed Fridays at Anyonita Nibbles, at Sweet & Savory Saturdays at Dessert Now Dinner Later, at Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters Stuff, at Super Saturday Show & Tell at What’s Cooking with Ruthie, at Pretty & Delicious at Your Homemade Mom, at Your Great Idea Link Party at One She Two She, at Get Schooled Saturday at Too Much Time, at Overflowing with Creativity at It’s Overflowing, at Show & Tell Saturday at Be Different Act Normal, at Super Saturday Link Party at Made From Pinterest, at Serenity Saturday at Serenity You, at Inspiration Monday at I Should Be Mopping the Floor, at Clever Chicks at The Chicken Chick, at Marvelous Mondays at The Gal Cooks, at Melt in Your Mouth Monday at Make Ahead Meals, at Mix It Up Monday at Flour Me with Love, at Trim Healthy Tuesday, at A Round Tuit at Creating My Way to Success, at Make Your Own Monday at Nourishing Treasures, and at Homemade Mondays at Being Frugal By Choice.